By Captain Jennifer Swain
Administrator for Program for the San Diego, CA Adult Rehabilitation Center
- recycled paper
- large bowl
- seed packets
- 2 small wooden frames
- grease splatter screen
- blender (should be exclusively used for this project)
*Most supplies can be purchased inexpensively at the Dollar Tree, but the blender is a great
opportunity to shop at your local Salvation Army thrift store!
- Create your paper mold by cutting the wire mesh out of the splatter screen and stapling it to one of the frames. The other frame should remain loose to work as your mold. You’ll hold them together to use them in the mixture.
- Tear your recycled paper into 1inx1in pieces. Fill your blender threequarters full with water and then add a few handfuls of paper.
- Blend until the paper is pulpy and wet.
- Pour your mixture into your large bowl and repeat the process.
- Add as many seed packets as desired to create texture.
- Once your large bowl is full of mixture, which should be mostly water, dip your frame into the bowl and move it around. Lift it from the bowl, ensuring all of the mesh is covered with the pulp mixture, and allow some water to strain before moving it to your towel.
- Once placed on the towel, press on the mesh with the sponge to remove excess water (squeeze water from the sponge back into the bowl).
- Remove loose frame and turn frame with mesh over onto the towel and gently pull paper off onto the towel.
- Leave paper to dry for 24-48 hours before cutting into fun shapes to give away!
You can encourage yourself, and others, to FLOURISH by planting these, or framing them, as a reminder that God can use all there is of us to create something BEAUTIFUL!
“I have learned the secret of contentment in every situation…” Philippians 4:12 TLB
Download printable instructions of this craft: